May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rains fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May Gold hold you in the palm of His hand.
Greetings!
As you all know by now, our dear friend, wife, sister, mother, godmother has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. We've created this blog to keep everyone updated, as well as to solicit prayers, positive thoughts, words of encouragement, and perhaps some help throughout Jane's fight. Thank you all so far for the phone calls, notes, and prayers you've been sending our way.
First of all, an update: Jane met with her oncologist, Dr. David Bender, on Monday. You can find his bio here. He was fantastic, and we all felt much more comfortable knowing she's in such good hands. The news was about as we expected--the cancer is on both ovaries, her liver, and her spleen. There is also some lymph node involvement. The gold standard treatment at this point is surgery and then chemotherapy--and that's what we're going to do. Surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, December 28. After a 5-7 day hospital stay, Jane will start chemo 2-4 weeks later. We don't know much about the chemo yet, which is fine, because our first priority is successful surgery and recovery.
Second, how is Jane doing? The short answer: as well as can be expected. After her diagnosis last Tuesday, Scott and Jeff came home with their families for a long weekend. We spent a night at Pzazz in Burlington, where the grandboys had a blast at the indoor water park. We also had a small Christmas (with lots of trains and dinosaur presents!) and spent lots of time relaxing and enjoying each other's company. We have all had our angry and sad moments (or many moments) and many tears have been shed, but we have also had some really wonderful family time during the season when family time is especially cherished.
I was going to add something here about how Jane is gearing up for a big fight to kick cancer's butt, but then remembered something she said one of the first days after her diagnosis. She said, "If I die from this, I don't want my obituary to say 'Jane died after a brave fight against cancer.' I hate that. Say that I was pissed as hell." Doesn't that sound more like the Jane you know? And we're all ready to help her brave this fight in as many ways as we know how.
Third, what can you do to help? Right now, prayers and positive thoughts are very much appreciated. At some point Jane and Randy may need some help with meals or help around the house, but there's not much to do right now. We are hoping this blog will be a place that we can send out information and that Jane can receive all of the positive energy we know you're ready to send her way.
As for the blog, please let us know if we can do anything to make it more user friendly or if there's anything else you'd like to see. We'll update it as often as we can and since Jane will probably not want us taking pictures of her in the hospital, we'll be posting cute pictures of Jane's grandbabies and family. There's not an easy way to create a guestbook through this website, so please use the comments section of each blog post to send your notes to Jane. If you'd like to send notes that aren't visible to everyone else--or just want to get in touch with someone--please contact Jeff or Nike Fleming. You can reach us at jeffandnike@gmail.com or on our cell phones: Jeff (319-321-9873) and Nike (319-594-5267).
Thank you in advance for everything! Jane has touched so many lives and supported so many friends and relatives that we know she has a wonderful support network ready to help.
A few pictures of Jane's grandboys (Connor and Jack) enjoying an early Christmas:
What a great blogspot!!! Good job Jeff and Nike! Jane I love you so much and am here for you! Whatever you need I am ready to help. Stay strong and I will continue to pray that God helps you through this journey. LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!! xoxoxo -Heather
ReplyDeleteJane - if anyone can kick this in the #@# it's you! Love and prayers - Steve and Janet
ReplyDeleteJane I am here for you:)sophie and cooper wish you well too:)I love you Jane and only hope the best for you!!!you can call me for anything..love Barb
ReplyDeleteJane, I want you to know that I was very sad to hear of your diagnosis. But I know that you and your faith are very strong! Fight this crap! Its ok to be pissed off! I will keep you in my prayers. Enjoy the holidays with your wonderful family. Love you, Melinda
ReplyDeleteJane,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you in my prayers.
Love,
Cousin Marcia
May you have:
ReplyDeleteA world of wishes at your command.
God and his angels close at hand.
Friends and family their love impart
And Irish blessings in your heart.
I'm still pissed and kickin, love you Kath
ReplyDeleteHi Jane! Hope you had a great Christmas. Here is a little video that we made for you.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2121198888885&set=p.2121198888885&type=2&theater
Jane,
ReplyDeleteWell wishes, happy thoughts and prayers to you and your
family. You can do this! Mindi and Smith fam
Big hugs and positive thoughts coming to you from Colorado!
ReplyDeleteMay the blessings of each day be the blessings you need most.
ReplyDeleteGood luck my friend. We are sending good thoughts and prayers
for tomorrow.
M
Have a restful night my friend. Kathy
ReplyDeleteJane--
ReplyDeleteAfter the initial shock, our first impulse was to come and see you. But, this is not about us, it's about you, and we want every ounce of your energy to be focused only on yourself. Prayers are going up for you every day--especially today. We will keep tabs through this blog (what a wonderful idea)and will do whatever needed.
May God's grace keep you and your family strong.
Love and prayers--
--John and Linda
Been at the hospital today-Dec. 29th-since right before noon on. Spending the night with Jane tonight. Her color is much better today than when I saw her right after surgery. She is talking a lot. She walked much farther today and sat up awhile, but is now resting. Scott is resting in the chair next to her.
ReplyDeleteThanks to all of you for your comments, prayers and support. She enjoys hearing the comments and appreciates everything.
I am sure Nike will update the blog when she has time. She does a much better job than I do!!
Love,
Martha
Hey, I am anxious to see you at home. Let me know when you are up for a visit.
ReplyDeleteCindy
Glad to hear you are home Jane...I will check on you when I get back from Mexico:) I will bring you something great from Mexico:)I love you dear friend...only wishing the best for you dear friend..Barb
ReplyDelete