Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Out of surgery

Like the warmth of the sun
And the light of the day,
May the luck of the Irish
Shine bright on your way.

Good afternoon! Jane is out of surgery, out of recovery, and into her room. The surgery lasted about 4 or 4.5 hours and went well. Dr. Bender was able to get 97% to 98% of the cancer and says he expects her to recover well. He did not have to resect any portion of the liver and also didn't have to cut into her bowel, both of which were possibilities heading into today. He was able to ablate (burn) and scrape the cancer from the periphery of both organs and there was no concern of there being cancer within either structure. He left a nodule in her spleen because it was in the vascular structures supplying the spleen, and he didn't want to put her at risk for further complications. He preferred to leave it and hit it with chemo rather than risk complications that would delay starting chemo. The same is true with a nodule Jane had in the vascular structures of her small bowel.

The third area he left behind involved several lymph nodes in the cardiophrenic area, which is the space above her diaphragm near her heart. These were enlarged on the CT scan she had a couple of weeks ago, and unfortunately are in an area that is too difficult to reach. We don't know if these are cancerous or if they are just enlarged because her body is fighting something. He will monitor those as she goes through chemo to gauge how well she's responding. Dr. Bender staged Jane's cancer as stage 3c. He removed a couple lymph nodes in her pelvis that he called borderline enlarged, but he did not see evidence of disease on them.

Jane is in her room and sleeping very soundly. We'll post updates as she starts to wake up and move around. Thank you for all of the prayers and positive thoughts you've been sending her way!

p.s. I chose the blessing above because the sun was shining all day today like the luck of the Irish was following Jane. It's been rather cloudy for the past few days, so we felt this was a good sign for today and the days to come.

4 comments:

  1. Jane, Sounds like the surgery went well and they were able to get, isolate the bad shit! I am very relieved as it sounds very positive. Just like you to not do something half way! This is a really bad way to get a vacation-Randy would probably have sprung for a week at the beach if you told him! I am so relieved that the cancer is downgraded and most likely curable w/chemo. Smoke pot with the chemo & that will help, if not pot, good chocolate & a really fine cognac, you won't remember any nausea! I'm waiting to hear about everyone's schedule when you get home & then I'll plan a visit. Don't be shocked, just hope that if I'm able to come the weather does an abrupt change to 75 degrees, call your friend Al Gore & arrange some global warming for my visit (I don't have proper clothes for cold nasty weather). I will come & cook & clean for you so you will have something to complain about! & we can drink, eat chocolate & get well. I wish we were closer so I could help more -miss hearing from "our crazy Democrat" relative. Are they all like you? I'll bring a cross, a bag of garlic bulbs & an autographed copy of Karl Rove's book, or one of W's. That should protect me! Ha Ha! Love you, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending sunny thoughts and wishful prayers to you Jane, for the next steps on this journey. Glad to hear surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that surgery went well and they were able to get most of the cancer and the rest with chemo. Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.
    Kathy Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,
    Sounds like things went well!!! I'm happy to hear. :) Now sit back, relax and get well. You ALWAYS do such a amazing job taking care of everyone else so let everyone now take care of you!!! Let me know what we can do for you.....chips/salsa, chocolate you know I love it all. xoxoxoxox See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete